Karin’s Full Bio
Nature photographer Karin Connolly was born in Queens New York in 1968. In 1973 Connolly’s family moved to the small town of New Paltz in upstate New York, where she was allowed to play in the woods, jump from rocks and generally explore her environment. It is said that her love of nature, which is now evident in her work is a result of these experiences she had a child.
Today, when shooting in nature, Karin Connolly searches for that perfect moment where all the elements of light, landscape and timing come together to form a single wonderful instant. Connolly captures images that reveal a mood of an area rather than what typically gets captured in traditional photography. “I love to record the mood of a shot, which usually requires visiting the same location repeatedly, said Connolly. “I allow myself to be completely immersed in the surroundings. The more I visits a place, the better I can reveal the true essence of what I feel there”.
Since 1990 Connolly has lived and worked in Orlando Florida where she attended Daytona State College (Southeast Center for Photography). After obtaining a very comprehensive photography education, Connolly worked as a freelance assistant for a variety of prominent photographers. Not only did Connolly develop intense technical skills, but she learned how to actually run a fine art photography business. As Connolly’s skilled improved, her unique voice has clearly emerged.
Connolly further when on to say, “Slowly I began to realize that nature photography was my passion, so I pursued it wholeheartedly. I have also been honored to get to know, and talk shop with top photography artists such as John Shaw, Art Wolfe, Dewitt Jones and Galen Rowell.”
Much of Connolly’s fine art images are soft and subtle, while others are mystical and playful and gravitate toward elements that play with perceptions of focus. Typical themes are “water-scapes” using long exposures which seem to capture the emotion of the water rather than creating a literal representation of the scene. While Connolly, shoots in color much of her work is later converted to black and white using her proprietary studio techniques. In this way Connolly can hand tone images using a combination of existing color with a hint of artistic license.
Each Connolly piece of fine art, is protected with a unique sealant process which protects the work from moisture, abrasions and sunlight. This enables collectors to see the image without having any of the distractions of glass.
Karin Connolly has won many prestigious awards, and regularly exhibits her work in fine art galleries throughout the United States. KC Portfolio
- Best in 2D Art – Tarpon Art Festival 2023
- Award of Merit Stockley – Gardens Art Fair 2022
- Best of Photography Krasl Art Fair 2022
- Award of Distinction Melbourne Art Show 2022
- Award of Excellence Gainesville Festival of the Arts 2021
- 3rd Place Photography – Englewood Fine Art Show 2021
- Judges Award – ArtiGras Fine Art Festival 2021
- Award of Merit – Ocala Art Festival 2019
- Award of Merit—Space Coast Art Festival 2019
- Best of Show—Historic Shaw Art Fair 2019
- Best of Category Photography — Krasl Art Fair 2019
- Award of Excellence — Melbourne Art Festival 2019
- Award of Merit — Mainsail Art Festival 2019
- Award of Excellence – Estero Fine Art Show 2019
- Judge’s Award – Winter Park Fall Festival 2018
- Best of Media – Talbot Art Show 2018
- Level III Masters Award – Orange County FL Art Competition 2018
- Allaprima Styling Award – Eau Gallie Art Festival 2017
- 1st Place Photography—Clermont Art Festival 2017
- Award of Excellence—4th Street Art festival 2017
- Award of Merit – Springfield Old Capital Art Fair 2017
- Award of Excellence— Maitland Art Festival 2016
- Award of Merit – Ocala Arts Festival 2016
- Award of Merit – Mainsail Art Festival 2016
- Best in Show – Clermont Art Festival 2015
- Best in Photography – Prairie Village Art Festival , Kansas City MO 2015
- Judges Award – Fairhope Art Festival, Birmingham, AL 2015
- Merit Award – Gainesville Art Festival 2015
- Merit Award – Space Coast Art Festival 2015
- Best in 2D – Tarpon Springs Art Festival 2014
- Award of Excellence – Lake Mary Art Festival 2014
- Second Place Photography – Space Coast Art Festival 2014